Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Mexican Lasagna

Well I have kind of been sucking at this diet thing for the last several days (which is, coincidentally, also why I haven't been blogging).  So, I took to Pinterest and found some new recipes to try and was reminded of some old favorites!  Saturday morning I made a meal plan for the week and took to the grocery store...

Last night was some delicious spaghetti squash.  If you haven't tried this stuff yet, you're missing out!  Maybe I'll do a post on that in the future. But, first...  On the menu tonight was Mexican Lasagna.  I haven't made this stuff in YEARS and forgot just how yummy (and easy) it is.

Ingredients:
1lb ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning
3 large low carb tortillas
Shredded cheese (I used mexican and shredded some salsa jack on the top) 
Taco sauce (I like medium heat)
Diced onions
Sliced black olives

Directions:
Brown, drain, and rinse ground beef.  Prepare according to instructions on taco seasoning packet. I just used a pan that's about equivalent to a 9x9 but it's a weird sized rectangle.  Spray with cooking spray.  Pour some taco sauce on the bottom to keep it from sticking and to keep it from being too dry!


 Cut the tortillas into thick strips (think lasagna noodles) and layer on top of the sauce.  This is the point where my friend dropped by and I got caught up in talking with her and forgot to keep taking pictures.  I'm confident you can take it from here!


 On top of the tortillas layer 1/3 of the meat, cheese, olives, and onions to taste.  Next add tortillas and layer again until you have 3 layers of meat!  Top with cheese and bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until bubbly on the sides and hot in the middle. 


Notes: You can really alter this recipe to be whatever you want it to be!  I left the quantities pretty open because I think it's a personal taste thing for how much cheese, onions, and olives to include.  You could also add jalepenos, tomatoes, or whatever else sounds good!   I also served mine with a bit of sour cream (no carbs, woot woot). 

 I prefer the mission brand carb balance tortillas.  They vary in carb count by size, of course, but they taste pretty normal and are soft and yummy!  Metabolism Miracle figures carbs by subtracting dietary fiber from total carbohydrates. The ones I used were 5g/ tortilla so the whole dish had 15g of carbs.  Awesome! 

I'm so excited for tomorrow night when my friend Sara comes over! We've been friends since high school and she is simply AMAZING.  I will be introducing her to mashed cauliflower.  Well, that's assuming she hasn't ever tried it before!  Until next time...

P.S. I've heard that comments weren't working so if someone would be so kind as to give it a try, that would be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment